HinduNet
Forums Chat Annouce Calender DigiCards Recommend Remote Invites
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63244 - 08/20/05 07:19 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: Damodar]
ARJUNA IN ACTION Offline
seeker

I don't know why you're obssessed with meat. Vegetarian diet does give the strength you need, right? Even soldiers can do with veggie diet, it actually makes them sharper. Meat makes you dull and that isn't a good thing for someone protecting borders.

Sattwic food gives you both muscle and brain, and you need both to win wars. Being big and strong isn't enough. You need intelligence to outwit the enemy. The fight between our nation and others isn't going to be wrestling match, so there is no need to worry about having big bodies. We need to worry about being smart and going hi-tech.

#63245 - 08/27/05 06:07 AM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: ARJUNA IN ACTION]
Damodar Offline
initiate

Quote:

I don't know why you're obssessed with meat. Vegetarian diet does give the strength you need, right? Even soldiers can do with veggie diet, it actually makes them sharper. Meat makes you dull and that isn't a good thing for someone protecting borders.

Sattwic food gives you both muscle and brain, and you need both to win wars. Being big and strong isn't enough. You need intelligence to outwit the enemy. The fight between our nation and others isn't going to be wrestling match, so there is no need to worry about having big bodies. We need to worry about being smart and going hi-tech.

I am not obssessed with meat eating BUT you are obssessed with your so called pure-veg diet.
Hi tech and being intelligent is required at higher strategic planning level BUT only such 'smart thinkers' cannot win wars.

>>Meat makes you dull.
I pity you.
Swami Vivekananda was a meat eater.
Lord Sri Krishna was a meat eater.
Lord Sri Rama was a meat eater.
Were they dull?
If you want to survive, crush pacifism AND pseudo-spiritualism. Vegetarianism is but one face of these; hence Swami Vivekananda has opposed it. He has even said that non-veg diet is a must if the society wishes to retain its survival quotient.

#63246 - 08/27/05 12:08 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: Damodar]
ARJUNA IN ACTION Offline
seeker

Rama and Krishna never ate meat. Don't spread these malicious lies. Prove it, if you can from authentic sources. Don't quote a pakistani website to defame our God. As for Vivekananda, well, he wasn't exactly a Veda-knower.

#63247 - 08/28/05 05:53 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: Damodar]
JaiGanesha Offline
initiate

Damodar,

There is no doubt that the eater of animals will also become an animal himself in behaviour. Hence lesser the consumption of meat, the better. No meat is simply cool.

Why take another life for our maintanence? Is it not violation of ahimsa the central tenet of HInduism?

Quote:

Swami Vivekananda was a meat eater.

I dont beleive you. If this is however true, I disapprove of his actions and it is a sin irrespective of who did it or preached it, notwithstanding the spiritual status of Vivekanada. Even great men are not infallible. He was probably reborn again as a pure vegetarian, if this is true. Considering that he was Yogi where the first vow taken in yama and niyama is ahimsa, I dont beleive your words at all.

Quote:

Lord Sri Krishna was a meat eater.

So? He also had 16000 wives. You are going to emulate the Lord? Never imitate Krishna, it is not advisable at all. Try to imitate his bhaktas. Show that Prahlada, Uddhava, the gopis, the many sages who meditated on him were meat eaters. The rules of conduct are never the same for the Lord and his devotees. Krishna is beyond rules of the world.

Quote:

Lord Sri Rama was a meat eater.

So? Are you following Lord Rama everywhere? Why not follow Hanumanji? Prove that Hanumanji consumed meat. I repeat never imitate the avatars of the Lord or you will sink into the depth of darkness. Always imitate his devotees, they are the role models to imitate.

Shiva Kumar
Om Namo Narayanaya. Giving up all other thoughts, with the whole mind day and night worship God. Thus being worshipped day and night, He reveals himself and makes His worshippers feel His presence.-Swamy Vivekananda

#63248 - 08/29/05 02:51 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: JaiGanesha]
grames Offline
helper

Loc: Florida, USA
Seems like you are approving Lord Rama and Lord Krishna ate meat. In fact, it is not at all true and they NEVER consumed any "animal" meat as food.

#63249 - 08/29/05 06:24 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: grames]
JaiGanesha Offline
initiate

Quote:

Seems like you are approving Lord Rama and Lord Krishna ate meat. In fact, it is not at all true and they NEVER consumed any "animal" meat as food.

I dont know about Lord Krishna, but I am sure about Lord Rama - that he consumed meat.

I cant quote straightaway, but I think Lord Hanuman tells Sita that due to her seperation Rama gave up meat, liquor and other such activities.(or was it a different context?)

But there is certian evidence for that in Ramayana, though it is not easy to locate it now. Anyway I will post that verse if I come across it. Rama was a kshatriya, and clearly meat eating was sanctioned. Even Yudhistira consumes meat in Mahabarata and gives it up on the advice of Sage Lomasha in Vana Parva. I dont think we need to defend Rama and Krishna even if they ate meat, or killed people. There actions should be self explanatory to those who beleive in them as incarnations. Only atheists raise questions against them - like

Why did Rama kill Vali by treachery?
Why did Rama ask Sita to do agni pariksha?
Why did Rama kill Shambuka?

Such people dont beleive that God incarnates, simple. You can call them pseudo Hindus and forget about their questions.

Om Namo Narayanaya. Giving up all other thoughts, with the whole mind day and night worship God. Thus being worshipped day and night, He reveals himself and makes His worshippers feel His presence.-Swamy Vivekananda

#63250 - 08/29/05 06:54 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: JaiGanesha]
JaiGanesha Offline
initiate

I located it. It is there in Sundara Kanda, 36.41.

For an English translation of Ramayana for this shloka see
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rama/ry376.htm

#63251 - 08/29/05 07:21 PM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: JaiGanesha]
grames Offline
helper

Loc: Florida, USA
I am surprised...

Do read Ramayana or any Sanatana Dharma scriptures under the guidance of a Devotee and do not fall for the translation of a drunkard or meat eater because this is how they will be able to translate.

na mAmsam rAgavO bunktE na sAbi madu sEvatE |
vanyam suvihitam nityam baktimsnAti pancamam ||

This is the verse you are talking about and you said you know sanskrit and MamSam and Madu don't have to translate as "Animal" meat and liquor.

MamSam is so frequently used to denote the "fleshy" portion of fruits and "madu" directly mean 'nectar' not liquor.

Lord Rama never ate meat and Lord Krishna never ate meat. If you come across such misinformation, reject such source instead of bringing such non-sensical meat eaters, drunkardís translations.

#63252 - 08/30/05 01:21 AM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: JaiGanesha]
Damodar Offline
initiate

Quote:

There is no doubt that the eater of animals will also become an animal himself in behaviour. Hence lesser the consumption of meat, the better. No meat is simply cool.

Do you think the soldiers, who in general are meat eaters, are animals?
Less or no meat consumption is required for the ones who aspire of becoming yogi, BUT they have to remember that less or no earning of money, less or no sex is also required for one to become a yogi.
And becoming a Yogi must not be the aim of all at all times.
The nation cannot be run by monks.
Quote:

So? He also had 16000 wives. You are going to emulate the Lord? Never imitate Krishna, it is not advisable at all. Try to imitate his bhaktas. Show that Prahlada, Uddhava, the gopis, the many sages who meditated on him were meat eaters. The rules of conduct are never the same for the Lord and his devotees. Krishna is beyond rules of the world.

Krishna didn't advise Arjuna to give up violence and become yogi. He induced Arjuna to kill the culprits, and that too by hook or by crook.
Do you think, Lord Rama, who was a meat eater, was an animal?

Quote:

I dont beleive you. If this is however true, I disapprove of his actions and it is a sin irrespective of who did it or preached it, notwithstanding the spiritual status of Vivekanada. Even great men are not infallible. He was probably reborn again as a pure vegetarian, if this is true. Considering that he was Yogi where the first vow taken in yama and niyama is ahimsa, I dont beleive your words at all.

Meating eat is not much a sin as compared to one's inability to protect one's children and kin from the attackers. This is what Swami Vivekananda told. He was a meat eater and his Guru Ramakrishna never told him or all the devotees of Kali who were meat-eaters to quit eating meat.
It's the Jain ideology that has exhorted Ahimsa upon all sectors of society and that too to ridiculous levels. The relentless preaching of Ahimsa and in turn the forcing of so called pure-veg food on masses has made Hindus vulnerable.
And that's why some pacifist people don't find it any shameful to denounce great people like Swami Vivekananda who tried to correct the ailment caused by ridiculous preaching of Ahimsa.

Quote:

Why take another life for our maintanence? Is it not violation of ahimsa the central tenet of HInduism?

Why take the lives of thousands of species that die with every breath you take?
Why take 'your so called pure veg' diet as it means thousands of bacteria getting killed?
Why have White Blood Cells in your body, as the WBCs are bent on killing hundreds of thousands of species?
If you believe in this so called central tenet so much, why don't you consider ceasing to live?
Go, have your WBCs removed and don't indulge in violence.
Why take another life for our maintanence?
It's because Nature-the Great has designed the system this way. And if you cannot take another life as time demands for your maintanence or protection then you are not fit for the survival.
If you want to survive, crush pacifism AND pseudo-spiritualism. Vegetarianism is but one face of these; hence Swami Vivekananda has opposed it. He has even said that non-veg diet is a must if the society wishes to retain its survival quotient.

#63253 - 08/30/05 01:24 AM Re: EATING NON-VEGETARIAN FOOD [Re: ARJUNA IN ACTION]
Damodar Offline
initiate

Quote:

Rama and Krishna never ate meat. Don't spread these malicious lies. Prove it, if you can from authentic sources. Don't quote a pakistani website to defame our God. As for Vivekananda, well, he wasn't exactly a Veda-knower.

I think, you have not read the whole thread.
I am not quoting from any Pakistani site.
I am quoting from our scriptures, Mahabharata, Ramayana and Vedas.
And syaing that our gods took resort to violence and killed the culprits and ate meat is not defaming them.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  ashs, bbadmin, satay, Shaivite 
(Views)Popular Topics
VALUE BASED MANAGEMENT 6532253
Building A Caring Society 2579324
The Dvaita Viewpoint 1491330
Instances of Muslim Bigotry 1393106
Need some help with my MBA project 1152640
Islamic fanaticism and terror 947276
Allegations on Sinha : Who is gunning for whom? 776235
Christians Converting to Hinduism 680567
Instances of psuedo-secularism in India 564458
THEORY OF ACTION AND KARMA YOGA 481924

This site is part of Dharma Universe LLC websites.
Copyrighted 2009-2010, Dharma Universe.