HinduNet
Forums Chat Annouce Calender DigiCards Recommend Remote Invites
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42445 - 05/01/03 12:11 AM For cryin out loud, what are you tryin to say?
Americanhindu Offline
guru

BRAHMAN IS ONE> OUR LORD IS ONLY ONE.

We have TRINITY to show The ROLES PLAYED BY BRAHMAN. You have a problem with that?

#42446 - 05/01/03 12:12 AM Meditation [Re: shrubviper]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had been trying to meditate, by controling my breath and heart rate, for about six months.

But, keep in mind, I was an athlete.

I had also been meditating, though not on the OM, for most of my life (some 20 years).

That particular experience, lasted by the clock, about 20 minutes.

Also, it is not really you who choose to go There, it is THEY, Who choose to Bring you there.

a voice crying out in the wilderness

#42447 - 05/01/03 12:25 AM Krsna's death was accidental and not deliberate. [Re: sarabhanga]
Americanhindu Offline
guru

Like they tortured and dragged him (jesus) thru the streets w a cross on his hunch back. That was cruel. What did he do to the people of his time to go thru such a hideous torture?
must be the big bad mouth or flawed phil that got him dead.

#42448 - 05/01/03 02:41 AM Dead Meat [Re: Americanhindu]
sarabhanga Offline
friend

Loc: India
Santi please!
What is your problem?
Are you still eating meat? [Dead meat in = Dead meat out]
Please be careful AmH.

#42449 - 05/01/03 01:27 PM Re: Dead Meat [Re: sarabhanga]
Americanhindu Offline
guru

yes, I do at times. But not beef though. Why is that important to you? It did not say anywhere in Hindu scriptures that to be a hindu one has to be a total vegetarian at all. Show me one verse from Upanishads or from GITA.

Ahimsa means not hurting others (people only) by words or deeds. It does not refer to non-vegetarianism at all, as you may want to twist it here. I am sure those yogis and RIshis had to take meat when they were travelling and when there was no green produce around them or they could cultivate green produce in desert areas. Those Hindu Rishis moved over to west (current middle east areas) due to flood devestations and they ended up in very hot and dry non-livable areas then. What did you think they eat all the time?
Did you know that those Rishis have become Jewish after they were enslaved by egyptian pharaohs or pharisees before they became Moses and his followers?

I have posted a question under Puja discussion and I want you to respond to that. It is about Yagnas. Hope to get a decent answer from you without personal attacks!

you may want to connect all the dots, starting from hinduism to Islam. It is all the same ancestors from one big stock of Hindus only.

The Kabur River area in Iraq was the starting point, from where all the hindus were located then to eupharities river valley to Tigris river to the junction of both merging now to enter gulf of persian. It was that area, where Hindus originally lived and then later on they moved down south, due to invasions and attrocities by greeks and romans. Who can tell what those people have to eat or lived on?

http://home.achilles.net/~sal/iraq_history.html

In that article it says they found clay tablets with "wheat and cows" pics. I know hindus eat wheat a lot in north and mostly rice in south. And cows are very important to them. They are also referred to as "wheat color skinned" in mostly north.

For south India had "imported Dalits" from africa and from middle east from 1200s when those crusaders came in w loads of people from those slaved countries, so that they could occupy those areas. Argentina and South Africa was totally evacuated to make room for white people then. May be those people swam across the ocean and came into hiding in westcoastal Indian mountains, who still are practicing Dalitism from bable times. well, what does meat eating has to do
w the dead man jesus anyway? Please explain.

At least dead animals became food for people. But what did they do or can do w dead people on cross? Sacrifice of human life principle is against Ahimsa principle. Religion is relevant only to people and animals do not need any religion or phil or faith or any doctrines.

#42450 - 05/02/03 01:51 AM Re: Dead Meat [Re: Americanhindu]
sarabhanga Offline
friend

AHIMSA means NOT HARMING ~ Full Stop!
One does not “have to be” anything in particular. It is entirely your choice.
For those who truly know Brahman, however, the taking of ANY life in order that their own human desires might be satisfied, is just NOT an option.
I am not advocating Itvara (effectively “starvation”) for everyone, but it is wise to consider the (relative) harm involved in any act of alimentation.
Indeed, ALL of one’s actions, words, and even thoughts, should be examined in the light of Ahimsa.
Karma is a serious business.

#42451 - 05/02/03 07:57 AM Re: Brahma
Shaivite Offline
guru

Please register a username.

In reply to:

The Creator is BRAHMA.
Brahman, is one who Knows BRAHMA.
Brahman is NOT a name for GOD (the Father and Creator).
BRAHMA, IS.

You are incorrect. Brahma is a creator god and the creation portion of the Holy Hindu Trinity. Brahma is the Creator, Vishnu is the Preserver, and Shiva is the Destroyer. However, all of these are avatars or devas of the Almighty. You can call a deva or an avatar the Almighty yourself if you wish because it doesn't matter what you call God and every god is simply part of the whole existence or ultimate God. Brahman is the Almighty God who is all of existence, infinite, absolute, etc. If you don't believe me, then read up on it! Brahmin refers to a Hindu caste.

In reply to:

Just because GOD (the Father and Creator) Is Infinite, does Not mean that the Various Names for His Diverse POWERS, ALL refer to His ENTIRE Being.

I already sense your limitations and inaccuracies. God is not just the "father" or the "creator." God is genderless as well as both genders or either because God is everything. God is not just the creator, because God is also the preserver and the destroyer. Also, it is true that all the names of the gods refer to the Almighty God. Krsna is just as important as Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Rama, etc. They are all God. All of the avatars and devas are God--they ARE Brahman. Names aren't important and every god worshipped is the Ultimate God simply portrayed in a unique fashion. Also, I'm unsure what you mean by "powers." What powers are you referring to?

In reply to:

But, ONLY to the INDIVIDUAL Powers of that Infinite Being.

To which, Different SEPERATE, OTHER beings, have been assigned control over.

Do not Mistake the various Aspects of GOD (the Father and Creator) for the ENTIRE BEING!

As far as the Diverse methods of Knowing GOD (the Father and Creator), YES, of Course.

And THAT, is Another reason, I consider myself an Hindu.

Please explain more because I don't agree with what you are saying and it doesn't sound very Hindu to me. Each deva is both a piece of God and all of God. You need to look at this philosophically. Hindus aren't expected to worship every deva to get to Brahman and many can choose to worship just one deva. God is like one big light source. The seeker of God can look through the prism of realization and see all the different colors of God. Each color and brightness of it is different but it is all God. Each strand of light is simply a different way of seeing God.

#42452 - 05/02/03 12:57 PM THERE is ONLY one BRAHMAN, wearing difft hats! [Re: Shaivite]
Americanhindu Offline
guru

What I mean by that is that BRAHMAN has roles to play and is depicted by our Holy HIndu Trinity w Divine partners to include
both both male and female aspects in Creation, Sustenance and dissolution.

Why different names given to the same BRAHMAN under Trinity?

Because these three "Works" or roles are conitinuously played thru out the entire Universe 24/7 at the same time. In order for people to understand three distinct roles played by BRAHMAN it was formulated thru Divine revelations that three different names had to be revealed. It is like having nick
names for one person.

According to Vedas and Upanishads, The entire Universe is a "stage" where all of us are actors and actresses at a given time of life. The Trinity Unit is demonstrating what kind of specific roles as a category is involved. It is also to show how religious phil is applied to ordinary people and their lives.

In christian Trinity, from what I understand is just an indication that one god exists in all three possible ways, excluding females totally, esp when they say jesus is god etc, which I do not agree. (There are lot of christians who do not think jesus is a god as well).

So you want o picture this. One actor, changing names and costumes three times in a show to explain the three difft roles played on a stage of Universe. The power of BRAHMAN is explained w prakriti as you can't explain one without the other.

Why male gender is assigned to PURUSHA OR BRAHMAN and PRAKRITI IS ASSIGNED W feminine gender? The answer is simple. The Mother Earth or Prakriti is always referred to as female as she can give birth to millions of people, places and things. And Purusha as an essential cause had to be there always to create people, places and things.

Though both men and women are made up of prakriti, there are constitutional differences, that makes it easier to assign the gender terms such as Purusha for men and Prakriti for women to explain the relevance of religion and how it affects the relationship between man and BRAHMAN etc.

Hinduism had thought about everything in "totality" and I love its very rich phil and explanations. It is so fulfillin and awesome.

#42453 - 05/02/03 09:17 PM There are total vegetarians who verbally abuse [Re: sarabhanga]
Americanhindu Offline
guru

others or emotionally badger or pulp others into nothing or make others feel like a [censored] on a daily basis. Visvamitra was very much full of anger and rage though he was a total vegetarian. Did you know that?

you wrote:
"AHIMSA means NOT HARMING ~ Full Stop!".
Correct. There are types of harms. Verbal and non-verbal.
The abuses may or may not have anything to do w the food consumption at all, for some. Because there are genetically inherited behavioral disorders which may be present due to mendelian inheritance or due to acquired mutations of their anu prakriti aka "genes" on DNA.

How does being a vegetarian would help solve that problem, if certain psychiatric disorders are passed down from ancestors to future generations, without their knowledge or fault?

In India, the mental illness is highly prevelant among people whose families are obsessed with rituals and "untouchability"
or when a person is about to do a puja, no one can touch them, for they have taken a bath, etc. to perform a puja. These people would not even allow their own very young children to come near them. That is sick. It is not there in vedas that they should do that at all. Just my observation during one of my very early visits back in the 70s to India. I hear that family is still practicing such a restriction on thier family members. What is the big idea or significance behind this "so called MUDI" (I was told that this word is a Tamil or a teluga word for untouchaibility) practice by these vegetarian people there? please explain. Thanks again.

P.S: I know that such untouchability is NOT there in any vedas or Upanishads. But I am wondering where it could have come from? Ezekiel? may be.

#42454 - 05/03/03 02:17 AM Re: There are total vegetarians who verbally abuse [Re: Americanhindu]
sarabhanga Offline
friend

Vegetarianism alone is not guaranteed to bring peace.
Vegetarianism for the sake of conformity is of little spiritual value.
Vegetarianism comes naturally when Vedanta is fully grasped.
Vegetarianism does not automatically confer understanding; rather, it is a sign that one understands.
Non-vegetarian diet implies ignorance of Vedanta, and is perhaps the main reason for the exclusion of non-Hindus (who are assumed to be non-vegetarian) from many sacred locations in India.
Pride on account of one’s vegetarian diet is certainly foolish.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ashs, satay, Shaivite 
(Views)Popular Topics
VALUE BASED MANAGEMENT 5965425
Building A Caring Society 2308137
The Dvaita Viewpoint 1355517
Instances of Muslim Bigotry 1255400
Need some help with my MBA project 1152640
Islamic fanaticism and terror 844022
Allegations on Sinha : Who is gunning for whom? 711394
Christians Converting to Hinduism 621161
Instances of psuedo-secularism in India 503277
THEORY OF ACTION AND KARMA YOGA 408032

This site is part of Dharma Universe LLC websites.
Copyrighted 2009-2010, Dharma Universe.